You may be following a strict diet and workout regime but without any success in losing weight. It may be a cause of concern especially if your obese, as it is a probability for several metabolic issues including hypertension, type 2 diabetes, high waist-to-hip ratio, and reduced HDL (good) cholesterol. Many people are opting for the latest trend called the Ketogenic diet in an attempt to shed weight. But it is important to know the ins and outs of the process before deciding to opt for this diet.
What is a Ketogenic diet?
- The ketogenic or “keto” diet is a low-carbohydrate, fat-rich diet that has been employed for several years to treat precise medical issues. The ketogenic diet has been tested and employed in carefully observed situations for diabetes, cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Alzheimer’s disease. This plan emphasizes foods that offer loads of healthful fats, suitable amounts of protein, and low carbohydrates.
- The key here is to get high calories from fat but not from carbohydrates. The eating regimen works by reducing the sugar reserves in the body. Due to this, it will begin to break down fat for much-needed energy. This causes the development of molecules termed ketones that are utilized for fuel by the body. As the body burns stored fats, it will cause weight loss.
- The ketogenic diet has shown several instances to aid in weight loss in many ways. Ketogenic diets contain foods that fill your tummy and will decrease hunger increasing hormones. Due to these abilities, following a keto diet is predicted to decrease appetite and enhance weight loss.
How do ketogenic diets promote weight loss?
Below are major ways from ketogenic diets that promote your weight loss journey:
Increased protein intake: Some ketogenic diets lead to a growth in protein intake, which has many weight loss benefits.
Gluconeogenesis: This is a process where the body converts fat and protein into carbs as a fuel that might burn several additional calories every day.
Appetite-suppressant: Ketogenic diets aid you appear full which is aided by an optimistic shift in hunger hormones like leptin and ghrelin.
Enhanced insulin sensitivity: Ketogenic diets can extremely enhance insulin sensitivity than can aid in increasing utilizing fat as fuel with increased metabolism.
Reduced fat storage: Few types of research recommend that ketogenic diets might decrease lipogenesis, the course of changing sugar in the body to fat. As you limit the intake of carbs, fat is utilized for energy.
Improved fat burning: Many studies have shown that ketogenic diets might gradually enhance the amount of fat burnt during relaxations, daily movement, exercise, etc.
But it is important to be aware that you reach the proper calorie levels while following a ketogenic diet. Consuming fewer calories can reduce your metabolism levels making it tough to lose weight in the long run. It is also seen that following a keto diet may enhance weight loss for a short time and unlikely to endure for long as it is almost impossible to follow this diet for longer.
Involved risks and complications
Even though several health benefits are staying on the ketogenic diet for longer can harm health, with an enhanced probability of developing the below health problems:
- kidney stones
- increased blood protein
- mineral and vitamin deficits
- Chances of fatty liver
The keto diet can lead to unwanted side effects that may be annoying and even life-threatening among several people. These side effects may comprise fatigue, constipation, nausea, low blood sugar. Headaches, vomiting, reduced exercise tolerance.
Some may argue that these symptoms are usually common at the start of the diet as the body regulates the new energy source. A ketogenic diet reduces or highly limits carbohydrate contents. But some carbohydrates are important for receiving optimal health benefits. For a less limiting dietary approach, people must assure to eat a diet that involves a comprehensive assortment of nutrient-rich, fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables, with healthy protein sources, and good fats.
Few types of people must refrain from the keto diet like:
- Individuals suffering from diabetes who are dependent on insulin
- Individuals who have some kind of eating conditions
- People with kidney problems or pancreatitis
- women during pregnancy and nursing
Weight loss at Integra Care:
- There are many ways to reach the weight loss goals, with nutrition counseling, vitamins, and another type of medications. The team at Integra care will associate with you to create the best weight loss program that suits your requirements. We will include the advanced methodologies and inventions to find the best blend of diet, exercise, and medications to aid you in the weight loss journey.
- Nutrition counseling will aid you in developing a strategy that encourages healthy diets and strengthens the motivation that offers ideal ways for weight loss. Nutrition therapy will support you to build a healthy eating habit. Nutrition counseling helps out to find are best foods for your body, why you require to include few foods in your diet, and strategies to lose weight with nutrition.
- Vitamin therapy comprises of suggesting many vitamins and minerals that improve metabolism and encourage weight loss. There will be the inclusion of B vitamins, iron, Vitamin D, green tea extract, magnesium, and supplements if needed.
- Expert weight-loss medications can be helpful if the body mass index or BMI is more than 30, or if you have any underlying medical issues linked to obesity. Before starting to take any medicine, you will have to discuss completely your medical history and any health issues. You will then know from your doctor about the right advice of medications to aid your weight loss journey. You must understand that prescription medications may not be suited in everyone’s weight loss journey.
If you want to have an effective weight loss plan you have to contact a health expert like Integra care. With all the knowledge in advanced weight loss methodologies, we offer you a customized plan that helps you achieve your goals without compromising your health.