Botox is a non-surgical option for facial rejuvenation. Botox is a neurotoxic protein from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It is used in small doses to weaken or paralyze muscles to help reduce wrinkles. Botox blocks chemical signals from nerves or control the signals that cause muscles to contract. Botox is most effective when used on glabellar lines or the wrinkles between your eyebrows, horizontal creases on your forehead, lines at the corners of your mouth, and “cobblestone” skin on your chin.
Botox is a series of small intramuscular injections of an FDA-approved purified protein. Botox reduces muscle activity causing frown lines and crow’s feet. Botox injections result in a reduction of lines and wrinkles and a smoother face.
Botox is FDA-approved and is a highly safe and effective procedure when performed by a licensed medical provider. Depending on the areas being treated, Botox treatments usually take15 to 30 minutes. There may be slight redness or discomfort at the injection site, but these are temporary.
You can see results from Botox treatments quickly, but the full outcome of Botox injections might take up to two weeks. Wrinkles and fine line reduction can last up to four months. It is recommended that you get maintenance injections every few months.
Botox has been proven to be safe and with very few complications. When you have injections done by a qualified injector, you will be very satisfied with the results.
Botox should not be used by women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. There has not been researching into determining if Botox is safe in these situations.
Botox is also used to correct:
- Lazy Eye or an imbalance in the muscles responsible for positioning your eyes.
- Muscle contractures in muscular diseases like cerebral palsy.
- Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating happens even when the weather is cold.
- Chronic migraines for those who experience migraines for more than 15 days a month, Botox injections may help reduce your headache frequency.
- Bladder dysfunction is for those who have incontinence caused by an overactive bladder. Botox can help ease your overactive bladder.
- Help eye twitching with Botox injections.